You are here:Home > Guidance centre > Improving your governing board > Chairs of Governors > The right people around the table: how to recruit and retain school governors and trustees
A new recruitment guide has been published for the Inspiring Governance service. ‘The right people around the table’ is a practical guide designed to help school governors and trustees plan and carry out recruitment and induction. The guide highlights good practice for induction, training and succession.
Five short chapters cover:
· Evaluating: composition and current practice
· Recruiting: attracting good candidates
· Appointing: interviewing and references
· Inducting: training and support
· Succession planning: ensuring there is leadership of the board
The guide is designed to complement the Inspiring Governance, which is a free online recruitment service connecting volunteers interested in serving as governors and trustees with schools who are looking for new recruits. Inspiring Governance is funded by the Department for Education and run by the charity Education and Employers in partnership with the National Governance Association.
When volunteers become governors or trustees through Inspiring Governance, NGA will provide free support including:
· An NGA induction guide
· Access to eight NGA Learning Link induction modules
· Access to telephone and email support
· Access to NGA’s Guidance Centre
· Membership of the Young Governors’ Network
If you are looking for a new governor or trustee, get started by signing up to Inspiring Governance: www.inspiringgovernance.org