NGA is a membership charity supporting and representing school governors and trustees from state funded schools in England.
We seek to represent all governors and trustees from state funded schools in England. We aim to raise the standard of school governance to ensure an excellent education for every child in England. To this end, we are calling for:
- The issue of school governance to be given greater prominence in central and local government policy making;
- Induction training to be provided free for all new school governors and trustees;
- The government to provide financial incentives both to encourage effective collaboration and to schools wishing to join together in LA maintained federations as well as multi-academy trusts;
- Funding to be distributed in an equitable, objective and transparent manner. Three-year indicative budgets should be introduced for both capital and revenue funding and the level of school funding increased;
- The supply of high-quality headteachers and teachers to be given more consideration centrally and for the government to take affirmative action to prevent a serious staffing shortage;
- The promotion of professional governing board clerks;
- A reduction in the number of new initiatives from central government and a period of relative stability to allow schools to continue to improve;
- More flexibility from employers for governing duties
Governing boards can become members of the NGA to take advantage of a range of benefits, including access to all our guidance online, legal advice and information, a weekly newsletter, bimonthly magazine, and much more. Find out more about the membership options on our membership pages.
NGA also offers a training and consultancy service, which can perform external reviews of governance, bespoke training packages, help you prepare for Ofsted, or anything else you may need. Find out more about what's on offer on our consultancy pages.
NGA aims to represent governors from all state funded schools in England. We seek views from members on a range of issues to bring the voice of governors and trustees to the national policy arena. Find out more about our representation work on our campaigns page.