Welcome to the Clerking Matters campaign page
NGA’s Clerking Matters campaign has the following aims:
- to increase the understanding of the importance of the work of clerks and what can be expected of a well-trained clerk
- to help governing boards find good clerks where there is difficulty in doing this
- to help clerks know where continuing professional development can be found
- to encourage appropriate remuneration of clerks
The campaign has a number of initiatives attached to it:
- The Find us a Clerk Service, which provides governing boards with a platform to advertise their vacant clerks’ positions and for clerks to advertise their services to boards.
- Essential resources including model role descriptions that cover clerking responsibilities in different governing structures, and an annual appraisal document covering a twelve-month cycle, which can be adapted to fit different clerking roles. Our Knowledge Centre has a wealth of information and resources relating to the clerking of governing boards alongside the resources and information that clerks and governance professionals require to deliver the support, advice and guidance to their boards
- Research and recommendations that inform what clerks should be paid.
- NGA’s Leading Governance programme, which offers a Level 3 Certificate in the Clerking of School and Academy Governing Boards accredited by the Chartered Institute of Governance.
- Our Annual Clerks’ conference held in Birmingham provides clerks and governance professionals attending from all over the country with a stimulating programme of keynote speakers, panel discussions and practical workshops.
- Our regular Clerks’ Network meetings are held virtually providing an opportunity to share experience, good practice as be a sounding board for Clerking Matters campaign.
Stay up to date through our Governing Matters magazine, which includes a regular Clerking Matters feature.
Contact clerking email@example.com if you have any questions or wish to find out more about the Clerking Matters campaign.