The programme provided a sound platform to enable me to bring about positive change to our Governing Board. It enable me to reflect and take appropriate action to strengthen my own knowledge and understanding of Governance and that of the Board. – Participant, Lincolnshire cohort 1
Our Development for Chairs programme falls under the Leading Governance umbrella and is funded by the Department for Education. If you are a chair, vice chair, committee chair or future chair, then this programme is designed to develop your governing skills, knowledge and confidence.
100% of participants completing the programme would recommend the programme to others
This programme offers a blend of flexible learning and will take approximately three terms to complete.
Led by experienced facilitators, participants will attend local workshops and access effective one-to-one mentoring throughout the duration of this programme, to ensure the skills learnt can be translated in to the real world. Learning will be both group-led and independent.
Benefits of the programme
This programme aims to develop leadership skills, ensuring that governance is both effective and sustainable by:
- developing the chair or future chair’s knowledge, leadership skills and networks
- supporting the creation of a realistic action plan which will ensure impact on governance practice and therefore pupil outcomes
- targeting areas where knowledge gain is required
- enhancing the chair’s awareness of their own strengths and areas for development
- creating self-supporting groups to ensure learning continues beyond the duration of the programme
- offering delegates a system to problem solve through action learning sets
What’s included in the programme?
- Three face-to-face workshops focusing on leadership development
- 360-degree diagnostic to evaluate strengths and development needs
- Access to interactive e-learning modules and resources
- participation in action learning sets
- support with creating a school-based project and action plan
Programme Detail Programme Journey
By the end of this programme, participants will be able to demonstrate a clear understanding of strategic leadership within the context of governance. Participants will:
Know how to manage and build their team, how to build a relationship with the senior executive leader, how to plan for succession and other changes, and will be able to lead and influence
Be knowledgeable about governance structures and effective delegation, and how to work with the clerk to best effect
Understand the governance role in school improvement and will be able to lead the board in effectively challenging the school organisation on its performance
Be able to assess their own effectiveness, to problem solve, and to create and sustain their own networks
The full cost of this programme is £500. Funding for the full cost of the course is available - please contact us to enquire about eligibility.
Check the available cohorts and book your place today
t 0121 237 3780 (option 4)
Interested in learning more about our Leading Governance programmes?
Why choose NGA Leading Governance?
Frequently asked questions
An excellent programme that has raised my awareness of the roles and responsibilities of a chair and also given me tools to carry these out. – Nicky Frobisher, Windsor and Maidenhead cohort 1