This NGA Leading Governance leadership development programme provides chairs, vice chairs, committee chairs and future chairs opportunities for developing leadership skills and confident governance.
Available cohorts Book your place today Contact us
This programme offers a blend of flexible learning and will take approximately three terms to complete.
Led by experienced facilitators, participants will attend workshops and access effective one-to-one mentoring throughout the duration of this programme. Learning will be both group-led and independent.
What’s included in the programme?
This is a leadership programme designed for those in a chairing role, or a future chair, and will include:
- six virtual face-to-face sessions focusing on leadership development
- a 360° appraisal to highlight strengths and development needs, and a repeat appraisal at the end of the programme to demonstrate impact
- access to interactive e-learning modules and resources
- participation in action learning sets and peer to peer support groups
- the opportunity to observe other boards practice
- support with creating a school-based project and action plan
Benefits of the programme
This programme aims to develop chairs’ leadership skills, ensuring that governance is both effective and sustainable by:
- developing the chair or future chair’s knowledge, leadership skills and networks
- supporting the creation of an action plan which is realistic in scope and will ensure impact on governance practice and therefore pupil outcomes
- targeting areas where knowledge gain is required
- enhancing the chair’s awareness of their own strengths and areas for development
- creating self-supporting groups to ensure learning continues beyond the duration of the programme
- offering delegates a system to problem-solve through action learning sets
By the end of the programme, participants will be able to demonstrate a clear understanding of strategic leadership within the context of governance. Participants will:
- know how to manage and build their team, how to build a relationship with the senior executive leader, and how to plan for succession and other changes, and will be able to lead and influence when required
- be knowledgeable about governance structures and effective delegation, and how to work with the clerk to best effect
- understand the governance role in school improvement and will be able to lead the board in effectively challenging the school organisation on its performance
- be able to assess their own effectiveness, to problem-solve, and to create and sustain their own networks
Take a look at the programme journey.
The full cost of this programme is £500 per participant. Please read the Terms and Conditions of the programme.
Available cohorts and book your place
Book your place today
Development for Chairs - Autumn Chairs 2021 (full, the next cohort is coming soon)
Have a question about one of these programmes?
Take a look at our FAQ's
- Call us on 0121 237 3780 (option 4)
- Complete the enquiry form
The programme provided a sound platform to enable me to bring about positive change to our Governing Board. It enable me to reflect and take appropriate action to strengthen my own knowledge and understanding of Governance and that of the Board. – Participant, Lincolnshire cohort 1
An excellent programme that has raised my awareness of the roles and responsibilities of a chair and also given me tools to carry these out. – Nicky Frobisher, Windsor and Maidenhead cohort 1