Level 3 Certificate in the Clerking of School and Academy Governing Boards
This accredited NGA Leading Governance programme is designed for clerks with at least 3-months experience, currently working in all school and trust settings. It helps develop the knowledge and skills needed for high-quality clerking.
Book your place today
At NGA we want to ensure you can still access DfE funding for our Leading Governance programmes, and your CPD is not impacted too negatively by COVID-19. Many governors and clerks are choosing to use this time to access online training and development, and giving thought to how to continue their personal and professional development remotely.
We hope any chairs and clerks wanting to develop their knowledge, skills and understanding during this time, will take the opportunity of accessing funding whilst it is still available for all boards, by joining the new Summer 2020 cohort we have opened on our website. We are committed to ensuring that all those that apply are able to access our e-learning and online evaluation tools, with the option of joining face-to-face workshops when it is safe to do so, or accessing this component of the programme in our upcoming virtual sessions.
Once you have applied for your place, you will receive access to all course materials and online learning, and can begin your journey to improved practise when it has never been more needed.
This programme offers a blend of flexible learning over approximately a nine-month period.
Led by experienced facilitators, participants will attend workshops and access effective one-to-one mentoring throughout the duration of this programme. Learning will be both group-led and independent.
What’s included in the programme?
This is a development programme designed for those already in a clerking role and will include:
- four face-to-face workshops with an experienced facilitator focusing on the development of clerking competencies
- a dedicated mentor to provide guidance and support
- a 360° appraisal to highlight strengths and development needs, and a repeat appraisal at the end of the programme to demonstrate impact
- access to interactive e-learning modules and resources
- participation in peer-to-peer and group learning to strengthen and support networking
- support with creating and completing a focused school-based project
- support in completion of a learning log to record personalised areas for focus and key learning points
Benefits of the programme
This programme aims to develop and recognise clerking competencies, ensuring that clerking is both effective and sustainable by:
- developing the clerk’s knowledge, skills and networks
- the creation of a school-based project which is realistic in scope and should improve effectiveness in clerking practice
- enhancing the clerk’s awareness of their own strengths and areas for development
- creating self-supporting groups to ensure learning and support continue beyond the duration of the programme
- leading to an accredited qualification that recognises the clerk’s competency development
Participants will have a clear understanding of how to fulfil the role of the modern professional clerk as follows:
- understand the key elements of effective governance
- understand governance structures, delegation, effective communication and the key areas for regulation and compliance
- demonstrate the skills, knowledge and behaviours expected of an effective clerk, evaluating and improving their own practice
- be able to plan and record meetings and the annual business of the board
- be clear about their role in providing information, advice and guidance to the board
- know when and how to deal with complex and challenging governance situations
- build effective networks and relationships with their board, proactively supporting and developing board effectiveness
Take a look at the programme journey.
Funding is available worth £350 and can be used against the full cost of the programme. The programme will cost £99 if you take up funding. Please read the Terms and Conditions of the programme or contact us should you wish to enquire about eligibility for funding.
Available cohorts and book your place
Book your place today
Lancashire - Cohort 1 (Download the programme pdf)
Lincolnshire - Cohort 3 (Download the programme pdf)
Newcastle - Cohort 2 (Download the programme pdf)
Sheffield - Cohort 2 (Download the programme pdf)
Walthamstow - Cohort 1 (Download the programme pdf)
If there is not a programme currently open for bookings near you, register your interest and we will get in touch when a cohort is available in your area.
Have a question about one of these programmes?
Take a look at our FAQ's
- Call us on 0121 237 3780 (option 4)
- Complete the enquiry form
"Progressing through and completing the programme had an immediate impact on the quality of my clerking. It also gave me a renewed enthusiasm and confidence in the role." Participant, Suffolk cohort 1
“The face-to-face sessions were particularly informative and I appreciated the opportunities to network with other clerks"