Progressing through and completing the programme had an immediate impact on the quality of my clerking. It also gave me a renewed enthusiasm and confidence in the role. – Participant, Suffolk cohort 1
Level 3 accreditation in Clerking of School and Academy Governing Boards
Clerks play a core role on governing boards and are integral in ensuring high standards are met. With the welfare of pupils at the heart of everything we do, our Development for Clerks programme, which falls under our accredited Leading Governance umbrella, is designed to ensure both new and experienced clerks have all the knowledge and skills they need to carry out this role effectively.
Benefits of the programme
This programme aims to nurture high quality clerking through recognising professional competencies and ensuring that clerking is both effective and sustainable by:
- developing the clerk’s knowledge, skills and networks
- the creation of a realistic school-based project which aims to improve effectiveness in clerking practice
- enhancing the clerk’s awareness of their own strengths and areas for development
- creating self-supporting groups to ensure learning and support continue beyond the duration of the programme
- an accredited qualification
This programme offers a blend of flexible learning over approximately a nine month period.
Led by experienced facilitators, participants will attend workshops and access effective one-to-one mentoring throughout the duration of this programme, building on the clerking skills learnt. Learning will be both group-led and independent.
What’s included in the programme?
97% of participants completing the programme rate their experience as good, very good or excellent.
This is a development programme designed for those already in a clerking role and will include:
- four face-to-face workshops with an experienced facilitator focusing on the development of clerking competencies
- a dedicated mentor to provide guidance and support
- 360-degree diagnostic of the participant’s strengths and areas for development
- access to interactive e-learning modules and resources
- participation in peer-to-peer and group learning to strengthen and support networking
- support with creating and completing a focussed school-based project
- support in completion of a learning log to record personalised areas for focus and key learning points
Programme Delivery Programme Journey
Participants will have a clear understanding of how to fulfil the role of the modern professional clerk as follows:
Understand the key elements of effective governance
Understand governance structures, delegation, effective communication and the key areas for regulation and compliance
Demonstrate the skills, knowledge and behaviours expected of an effective clerk, evaluating and improving their own practice
Be able to plan and record meetings and the annual business of the board
Be clear about their role in providing information, advice and guidance to the board
Know when and how to deal with complex and challenging governance situations
Build effective networks and relationships with their board, proactively supporting and developing board effectiveness
Development for Clerks - £425 (partially funded)
DfE funding is available for £350 of the full cost, leaving £75 for you to pay. Please contact us to book.
Check the available cohorts and book your place today
t 0121 237 3780 (option 4)
Interested in learning more about our Leading Governance programmes?
Why choose NGA Leading Governance?
Frequently Asked Questions
“The face-to-face sessions were particularly informative and I appreciated the opportunities to network with other clerks"