Level 3 Certificate in the Clerking of School and Academy Governing Boards
This accredited NGA Leading Governance programme is designed for clerks with at least 3-months experience, currently working in all school and trust settings. It helps develop the knowledge and skills needed for high-quality clerking.
Available cohorts Book your place today Contact us
This programme offers a blend of flexible learning over approximately a nine-month period.
Led by experienced facilitators, participants will attend workshops and access effective one-to-one mentoring throughout the duration of this programme. Learning will be both group-led and independent.
What’s included in the programme?
This is a development programme designed for those already in a clerking role and will include:
- eight 90-minute virtual face-to-face workshops with an experienced facilitator focusing on the development of
- a dedicated mentor to provide guidance and support
- a 360° appraisal to highlight strengths and development needs, and a repeat appraisal at the end of the programme to demonstrate impact
- access to interactive e-learning modules and resources
- participation in peer-to-peer and group learning to strengthen and support networking
- support with creating and completing a focused school-based project
- support in completion of a learning log to record personalised areas for focus and key learning points
Benefits of the programme
This programme aims to develop and recognise clerking competencies, ensuring that clerking is both effective and sustainable by:
- developing the clerk’s knowledge, skills and networks
- the creation of a school-based project which is realistic in scope and should improve effectiveness in clerking practice
- enhancing the clerk’s awareness of their own strengths and areas for development
- creating self-supporting groups to ensure learning and support continue beyond the duration of the programme
- leading to an accredited qualification that recognises the clerk’s competency development
Participants will have a clear understanding of how to fulfil the role of the modern professional clerk as follows:
- understand the key elements of effective governance
- understand governance structures, delegation, effective communication and the key areas for regulation and compliance
- demonstrate the skills, knowledge and behaviours expected of an effective clerk, evaluating and improving their own practice
- be able to plan and record meetings and the annual business of the board
- be clear about their role in providing information, advice and guidance to the board
- know when and how to deal with complex and challenging governance situations
- build effective networks and relationships with their board, proactively supporting and developing board effectiveness
Take a look at the programme journey.
The full cost of this programme is £449 per participant. Please read the Terms and Conditions of the programme.
Available cohorts and book your place
Book your place today
Development for Clerks - Autumn Clerks 2
Development for Clerks - Spring Clerks 2022
Have a question about one of these programmes?
Take a look at our FAQ's
- Call us on 0121 237 3780 (option 4)
- Complete the enquiry form
"Progressing through and completing the programme had an immediate impact on the quality of my clerking. It also gave me a renewed enthusiasm and confidence in the role." Participant, Suffolk cohort 1
“The face-to-face sessions were particularly informative and I appreciated the opportunities to network with other clerks"