Release date: 18/11/2016
The first edition of Welcome to a Multi Academy Trust is now on sale. Click here to buy your copy.
Welcome to a Multi-Academy Trust provides high-quality practical information about how to govern a group of schools as a multi academy trust. The guide is for newly appointed trustees, although seasoned trustees will get a lot from it, as will clerks and chief executives.
The guide builds on NGA’s existing catalogue of best-selling and trusted guides for school governors and trustees: Welcome to Governance and The Chair’s Handbook.
Attending the academies show? Visit the NGA governance hub at stand A12 and get 50% off Welcome to a MAT. You can also speak to our team about how we can support you and your MAT.
Emma Knights, Chief Executive of the National Governors’ Association, said: “As I have travelled across the country the constant refrain has been “we are making this up as we go along” and “where are the case studies of good practice?” and “how can we learn from the others who have gone before?” This new guide is just one part of NGA’s work to fill that gap.”
Lord Nash, Under Secretary of State for Schools, said: “The support and guidance of the National Governors’ Association is valued highly by a large number of governing boards, including an increasing number of multi-academy trusts. I am delighted to see new resources being developed specifically tailored to the needs and circumstances of MATs.”
Nine packed chapters explore how to be a successful MAT trustee, including:
- The legal role of trusteeship: introduction to a MAT
- The culture and ethos of the trustee board
- What makes governance in a MAT different?
- The business of the board including meetings of members
- How schools work: curriculum, assessment, safeguarding, complaints and exclusions
- Knowing your schools: how to tell if your trust is doing well, chief executive reports, visiting school and performance data
- Staffing: senior executive team, staffing structures and HR
- Fiduciary functions: accounts and managing the budget and insurance
- External agencies: Ofsted, charity commission, Department for Education
- Growing the Trust: is there an optimum size for a MAT? Getting it right and routes to expansion
- Plus much more!
If you're an NGA member, take advantage of our 50% discount offer.
If you're not currently a member but you'd like to be, click here
). For bulk discounts (over 15 copies) please call the office during the week on 0121 237 3780, or email Ravinder