We are not currently inviting new applications for the National Leader of Governance role.
NGA continues to review the governance needs of schools and trusts, and the skills, expertise and geography of the group of designated National Leaders of Governance. Any opportunity to apply for the role will be advertised by NGA.
Eligibility criteria for NLGs
To be considered for the NLG role in the future, you must meet the standards set out by the Department for Education. The standards are:
Applicants must have:
- A minimum five years’ school/trust board governance experience, including three years’ experience as a Board chair or five years’ experience as a clerk or governance professional, and;
- A current role within governance which involves holding the executive to account, or a current clerk/governance professional role (unless exceptional circumstances), and;
- Experience (as trustee, governor, clerk/governance professional) in at least two unrelated settings; one must be an academy trust board or a school governing board; one or more may be in a non-education setting.
NLGs must also meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Currently a Chair of a good or outstanding school according to Ofsted’s judgement, or Chair/lead trustee in a trust that is not subject to a Financial Notice to Improve (FNtI) or any other warning notice relating to financial management, or;
- Demonstrate a track record in improving governance in a school or trust, resulting in an improved overall leadership and management Ofsted judgement, or other objective measure, or;
- Demonstrate a track record in providing effective professional services that have challenged and delivered improved governance in schools or trusts, leading to an improved Ofsted judgement or other objective measure
Please note that governance and chairing experience must be obtained in an accountable setting. This means in a maintained school governing body or trust board; experience on an academy committee (local governing body) which is not the accountable body does not meet this criteria.