A guide to recruiting and retaining school governors and trustees
Having the right people around the table is one of NGA’s eight elements of effective governance. It is a continuous cycle that begins with evaluating your board’s current and future needs and building an effective team. Finding new volunteers is not always an easy task and recruiting from underrepresented groups can be particularly challenging.
Download The right people around the table (PDF)
The guide provides practical advice to help ensure that your board has the right blend of knowledge, skills, perspectives and backgrounds to govern effectively.
Included in the guide:
- Evaluating your board’s needs
- The recruitment process
- Finding new volunteers
- Making an appointment
- Induction and ongoing development
- Retention and succession planning
The role of governors and trustees: NGA animated film
NGA has produced a short, animated film which can be used by governing boards to explain governance to potential volunteers. You may wish to share the film on your school or trust website or via social media as part of your recruitment activity.
NGA resources to help you recruit a diverse board
- Governing board diversity indicators form - gather diversity data to inform your recruitment strategy.
- The NGA skills audit prompts governing boards to evaluate their knowledge and understanding of the communities they serve.
- NGA has collated a number of tools to help boards evaluate the effectiveness of their strategies for promoting equality, diversity and inclusion.