A guide to recruiting and retaining school governors and trustees
Having the right people around the table is one of NGA’s eight elements of effective governance. It is a continuous cycle that begins with evaluating your board’s current and future needs and building an effective team. Finding new volunteers is not always an easy task and recruiting from underrepresented groups can be particularly challenging.
Download The right people around the table (PDF)
The fourth edition of this guide, published in June 2021, provides practical advice to help ensure that your board has the right blend of knowledge, skills, perspectives and backgrounds to govern effectively. All types of state-funded schools can use the principles, ideas and resources included in this guide.
Included in the guide:
- Evaluating your board’s needs
- The recruitment process
- Finding new volunteers
- Making an appointment
- Induction and ongoing development
- Retention and succession planning
- Skills audit: use the skills audit to help you to identify the skills and experience your board might need from a new member to be effective
- Role descriptions for governors and trustees: help potential new volunteers understand the role.
- Code of conduct: set out what you expect of new board members.