NGA has produced information sheets covering the government’s schools white paper and the long-awaited green paper, released on 28 March 2022.
These information sheets provide boards with an overview of the proposals that have been set out in the papers, so that governing boards know what to expect for the future of the education system. Boards may also want to share the information sheets with school leaders as summary documents to refer to.
The white paper, ‘Opportunity for all: Strong schools with great teachers for your child’ sets out the government’s vision for the future of education which includes:
- a range of programmes for teacher development and recruitment
- additional support for schools to secure the fundamentals of behaviour, attendance and wellbeing for all
- various interventions to target support to those who need it most
- introducing a fully trust- led system with a singular regulatory body
The green paper, 'SEND review, Right Support, Right Place, Right Time' shares the findings from the government’s SEND review, which have shaped the proposals to improve education for children and young people with SEND and in alternative provision (AP). The proposals include:
- establishing a single national SEND and AP system that sets clear standards for the provision that children and young people should expect to receive
- strengthened accountabilities and investment that will help to deliver real change for children, young people and their families
- creating a single national system that has high aspirations and ambitions for children and young people with SEND and those in AP, which is financially sustainable