Governance and equality, diversity and inclusion
NGA’s guidance, resources and campaigns on equality, diversity and inclusion cover:
- Governing board diversity: composition, recruitment and creating an inclusive environment
- The board’s role in encouraging diversity and ensuring equality: in determining ethos and culture; when recruiting executive and senior leaders; as employers of all staff; and in the direct impact on pupils (eg oversight of the curriculum, monitoring of behaviour and exclusions, and outcomes)
- Increasing the number of volunteers from underrepresented groups (particularly people from Black, Asian or minority ethnicities and young people aged 40 and under) that join governing boards.
*New* NGA is a co-signatory to the sector-led statement of action and commitments on equality, diversity and inclusion in education published in June 2021. View the Statement of Intent.
"More than ever we also need diverse boards, and the Handbook has been updated to emphasise the expectation that recruitment processes should encourage volunteers from a wide range of backgrounds, cultures and perspectives, that better reflect the communities they serve."
Baroness Berridge, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the School System, writing in the Governance Handbook, October 2020
Our commitments and action
NGA has published a series of commitments to demonstrate how we have committed to improving diversity on governing boards, particularly in relation to race. Read the blog on our commitments. We are also involved in various projects and initiatives around diversity and governance, and engage with governors, trustees, clerks and education professionals to understand experiences, needs and insight.
- Join NGA’s diversity and equalities advisory group or the NGA/BAMEed network governance hub
- We welcome and encourage feedback on our work – please do send us any suggestions, comments or questions
- If you are a governor or trustee from an underrepresented group, and are interested in participating in our work on equality, diversity and inclusion eg by taking part in research, sharing your story with us, or being willing to share your experiences in the media, please get in touch
- If your governing board has taken action to improve its diversity and inclusion, or has done proactive work in developing its role in equality, diversity and inclusion, no matter how small, we’d love to hear from you to share your practical tips with others
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved.