Understanding and improving MAT governance
This report encapsulates our learning from serving NGA members and consultancy clients. It builds on hundreds of conversations with those governing and leading multi academy trusts (MATs).
Read Moving MATs Forward 2019 - full report (PDF)
Read Moving MATs Forward 2019 - summary report (PDF)
The research assessed the context, oversight and practice of MAT governance, offering up recommendations for improvement to those governing and policymakers.
The report covers:
- how we got here
- what MATs can learn from each other
Key conclusions are focused around:
- getting the right people around the table
- establishing organisational identity: ethos and vision
- embedding ethics, behaviour, culture and relationships
- understanding who does what
- connecting with the community and being accountable to stakeholders
- the future of the local tier
- effective communication and information management
- due diligence and risk
- MAT growth, location and sustainability
- ensuring oversight and holding trusts to account
- system leadership: collaborating and supporting other schools to improve
Browse our dedicated page for multi academy trusts to find the latest NGA guidance, advice, professional development and e-learning, developed exclusively for trusts.
Are you an NGA member?
Our Knowledge Centre contains 100s of resources available exclusively for members. If you’re a governor, trustee, clerk or governance professional, you can subscribe as an individual or as a board to use our guidance, templates and model policies. Other member benefits include networking events, newsletters, and our Governing Matters magazine. Find out more and sign up here.