Chief executive officer (CEO) template job description
For CEOs of multi academy trusts
The CEO is the accounting officer of the trust. They have responsibility for informing and supporting the work of the board – including the board’s setting of the trust’s vision and strategy. The CEO is responsible for delivering the agreed strategy and overseeing all operations of the trust.
Download CEO job description template (PDF)
This template provides a starting point for trust boards to develop a job description for their CEO. It is is based around six key areas.
The CEO of a multi academy trust:
1. Develops a leadership narrative that articulates the board's vision and values in practice and shapes the organisation's ongoing development
2. Builds an open, transparent and effective relationship with the governing board and its committees
3. Ensures that the organisation is an ‘employer of choice’ and is staffed by talented and skilled individuals at all levels
4. Enables improvement and disciplined innovation as an organisational habit
5. Secures organisational sustainability and compliance
6. Builds external relationships: fostering social and professional capital
The job description is based on the work of Michael Pain, Forum Strategy and the ‘Being The CEO’ framework and also informed by the research of the National Governance Association.
Are you an NGA member?
Our Knowledge Centre contains 100s of resources available exclusively for members. If you’re a governor, trustee, clerk or governance professional, you can subscribe as an individual or as a board to use our guidance, templates and model policies. Other member benefits include networking events, newsletters, and our Governing Matters magazine. Find out more and sign up here.