Being Strategic: a guide for governing boards and school leaders
Download Being Strategic (PDF)
This guide to Being Strategic has been jointly developed by NGA, the Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL) and the National Association of Head Teachers (NAHT). The guide offers leaders and governing boards in schools and trusts a robust annual cycle for creating, monitoring and reviewing strategy. This guide was updated in 2020 - read about the update here.
Included in the guide:
- Mission, values and vision
- Creating the strategy document
- Monitoring the strategy
- Reviewing the strategy
- The impact of culture on strategy
Join our webinar: a partnership with senior leaders
On Thursday 20 May at 4.30pm, Emma Knights, NGA Chief Executive, will host a webinar exploring:
- The respective roles of the governing board and those employed to run the trust or school
- What good working relationships with senior leaders look and feel like
- How mutual trust and respect can be developed and earned
- The co-construction of the organisation’s strategy
Register for the webinar here
Are you an NGA member?
Our Knowledge Centre contains 100s of resources available exclusively for members. If you’re a governor, trustee, clerk or governance professional, you can subscribe as an individual or as a board to use our guidance, templates and model policies. Other member benefits include networking events, newsletters, and our Governing Matters magazine. Find out more and sign up here.
New content in this 2020 version of Being Strategic includes:
- Mission – the purpose of a mission statement and its influence on strategy
- Culture – the factors that make a positive impact on culture and how culture impacts on strategy
- An expanded list of strategy outcomes and sources of evidence