Being Strategic: a guide for governing boards and school leaders
Download Being Strategic 2020
This guide to Being Strategic has been jointly developed by NGA, the Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL) and the National Association of Head Teachers (NAHT). The guide offers leaders and governing boards in schools and trusts a robust annual cycle for creating, monitoring and reviewing strategy. Read about the 2020 update here.
Included in the guide:
- Mission, values and vision
- Creating the strategy document
- Monitoring the strategy
- Reviewing the strategy
- The impact of culture on strategy
NGA’s Director of Advice and Guidance Steve Edmonds hosted a webinar to accompany the launch of Being Strategic 2020.
Watch the webinar here
Support available from NGA
NGA's Learning Link offers flexible e-learning for governors, trustees, chairs and clerks. Learning link features a e-learning on strategy development.
NGA's team of knowledgeable and experienced governance consultants provide bespoke support for governing boards including external reviews of governance, mediation and facilitation of away days.
New content in this 2020 version of Being Strategic includes:
- Mission – the purpose of a mission statement and its influence on strategy
- Culture – the factors that make a positive impact on culture and how culture impacts on strategy
- An expanded list of strategy outcomes and sources of evidence